Last Updated on February 3, 2023
If you shoot with a Canon Rebel XSi and are ready to improve your image quality beyond what you can get with the lens it came with then this article is what you are looking for. The XSi has many lens options out there but I have tested them and will show you the best lenses for the Canon Rebel XSi (also known as the 450D and the KISS X2).
I’ve been a professional photographer for over two decades and in that time I’ve used more lenses than I can begin to count. And one thing I always recommend to aspiring photographers is to invest in the best quality lens you can. Few things, other than practice, will improve your image quality more.
[The Main Museum is supported by readers like you. Some links are affiliate and we earn a small commission when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As always, all recommendations are only made based on performance and value to you]
Best Canon Rebel XSi Lens
Best Canon XSi Zoom Lenses
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
- 17-55mm wide-angle zoom lens with f/2.8 maximum aperture for Canon DSLR cameras
- AD and aspherical elements deliver impressive image quality through entire zoom range, Closest focusing distance : 1.15 feet
- Image Stabilizer lens groups shift to compensate for image shake even in dim lighting
The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is my favorite zoom lens for the Rebel XSi. It provides exceptional performance and is as close to Canon’s full frame L series line of lenses you can get on the Rebel. If you are still shooting with the kit zoom lens that comes standard with your camera, this lens will be a tremendous improvement in every aspect. It provides a shallow depth of field for a gorgeous blurred background. This is a great value for the performance.
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD
- FLD glass elements along with two glass mold elements and one hybrid aspherical lens provide excellent correction of aberrations and allow for...
- Aperture : F11
This is a solid zoom lens option as well. The Sigma 17-55mm does not offer the same image quality and performance as the top pick but it is still a big step up from the kit lens. It provides great optical image stabilization. This allows you to capture sharp images even when using slower shutter speeds. It provides a fast aperture and a great zoom range. This lens is a favorite of portrait and nature photographers.
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
- EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
- German (Publication Language)
This Canon is one solid option if the two other picks are not what you are looking for. This lens provides a zoom range comparable to a 24-136mm when shot with a full frame Canon. This is a great all around zoom lens option and is very popular with traveling photographers and nature shoots as well.
Best Telephoto Zoom Lens For XSi
Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS
- INCLUDES: Sigma 18-300mm 3.5-6.3 DC HSM OS Macro All In One Zoom Lens + AirBag Packable Bag and Camera Insert + SanDisk 64GB C10 Ultra UHS-I SDXC...
- COVERING a useful wide-angle to super telephoto range, the Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM is a flexible all-in-one zoom characterized by its...
- COMPATIBLE with APS-C DSLR Canon Cameras, including EOS 7D Mark II, 70D, 77D, 80D, 90D and Rebel T3, T3i, T4i, T5, T5i, T6, T6i, T6s, T7, T7i, SL1,...
This is a great telephoto zoom lens from Sigma that works amazing with your Canon Rebel XSi. This is an incredibly versatile lens that offers range from wide angle to telephoto all in one great package. This lens offers you 17 elements in 13 groups. It produces very clear and sharp images that are truly beautiful. You will notice no chromatic aberrations either. Keep in mind that this lens is big and heavy. For that reason it may not be the best all around lens but it is a great tool to have in the camera bag.
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
- 18-200mm focal length, Closest Focusing Distance : 1.48 ft./0.45m (maximum close-up magnification 0.24x)
- 28.8-320mm equivalent focal length on Canon APS-C cameras, 72mm filters
- F3.5-5.6 maximum aperture; F22-38 minimum
This Canon telephoto is a great option for the traveling photographer due to it’s compact size and lightweight. Don’t let the small package fool you though, this lens offers an impressive zoom range. It also provides you with four stops of image stabilization. With the low cost this is an excellent value lens that would be a great addition to any photographer with a Canon Rebel XSi.
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
If you need an even smaller telephoto range lens then this is the one for you. This lightweight XSi lens offers a focal range equal to 120-480mm on a Caon APS-C sensor camera. The small package does mean trade offs in features. This lens does not offer image stabilization but it excels when shot from a tripod outdoors making it a great nature and wildlife style lens.
Best Canon Rebel XSi Prime Lens
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
- 50 millimeter focal length and maximum aperture of f/1.8
- Great for portraits, action, and nighttime photography; Angle of view (horizontal, vertical, diagonal): 40º, 27º,46º
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.15 feet (0.35 meter) and a maximum magnification of 0.21x
This lens is one that every Canon owner should have. No joke. The EF 50mm lens is an incredibly versatile lens that is a top performer. It offers a great build quality and it is lightweight and compact. This lens performs well in all lighting conditions, even in poor and low light. No matter what style of photography you shoot this lens should have a place in your bag. Be aware that older models of this lens had issues with the autofocus motor so it is well worth buying a new model.
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
- Wide angle lens for Canon APS C cameras (equivalent to 38 millimeter on a full frame camera)
- Focal length & maximum aperture: 24 millimeter 1:2.8, maximum magnification of x0.27
- Slimmest and lightest lens of the EF S series
The Canon EF-S is the smallest and lightest lens for the Rebel XSi. It is also known as a pancake lens, thanks to it’s incredibly slim profile. This lens should be in the bag of every traveling photographer. If you spend a lot of time traveling or doing sessions away from home this lens will become your best friend. It offers excellent performance and comes in at a very budget friendly price.
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art DG HSM
- This Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens comes with all the manufacturer accessories and a 4-year USA warranty along with a 18-piece bundle which...
- SIGMA ART – The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM lens is a state of the art lens designed for full frame cameras but can also be used with APS-C sensors as...
- OPTICS - The 35mm incorporates both (FLD) glass and Low Dispersion (SLD) glass in a 9 elements - 8 group. There is one aspherical elements to...
This prime Canon Rebel XSi lens provides some of the best image quality in it’s range. It is a top performer with it’s hyper sonic motor which provides fast, quiet and accurate autofocus. The price tag is very reasonable as well making this a great value.
Best Canon Rebel XSi Lenses for Portrait Photography
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
- 85 millimetre standard lens with f 1.8 maximum aperture for Canon SLR cameras, Lens Type:Telephoto Zoom Lens
- Ring-type ultra-sonic monitor (USM) brings subject quickly into focus, Focal length: 85 millimetre, closest focusing distance: 2.8 feet
- Natural angle of view and perspective is ideal for portraits and natural images
If you do portrait photography this is the best lens you can get for your Canon Rebel. It provides a large aperture and it can produce excellent photos even when shooting outside and in low light. It is capable of consistently producing bokeh effect where your subject is in focus and the background is blurred. This lens is incredibly popular with portrait and wedding photographers.
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art DG HSM
- 50mm focal length
- 75mm equivalent focal length on APS-C cameras, 80mm equivalent focal length on Canon APS-C cameras
- F1.4 maximum aperture; F16 minimum
This Sigma 50mm lens is an exceptional portrait photography lens. It is also very popular with street and landscape photographers thanks to its excellent performance and build quality. This lens provides realistic and clear images over the entire photo. I love how there is no distortion or vignetting either. All this and it comes in at a great price point.
Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM
- Focal length and maximum aperture: 100mm 1:2
- Lens construction: 8 elements in 6 groups
- Diagonal angle of view: 24 Degree
This lens was discontinued by Canon but it’s solid performance makes it worthy of making my top picks. It’s still available from time to time so if you see it grab it while you can. This XSi lens provides a narrow field of vision making it an excellent low light option. It is compact and lightweight so traveling with it is easy as well.
Best Canon Rebel XSi Lens For Sports and Wildlife Photography
Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
- New FLEX ZOOM LOCK mechanism enables the locking of the zoom ring at any position
- Fluorine Coating and improved Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Lightweight and easy-to-hold tripod mount is compatible with an Arce-Swiss style quick release plate
I’ve shot both sports and wildlife photography for years and I am very happy with the quality of this third party lens. The first generation of this lens was not as good but this one is a real winner. It provides you with exceptional image quality through the entire zoom range making it great for those long shots. The autofocus is very quiet which is a must when photographing wildlife. The AF is fast too making taking photos of moving subjects possible. This is a great lens
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Contemporary DG OS HSM
- The Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 DG HSM OS Contemporary Lens comes with all the manufacturer accessories and a 4-year USA warranty along with a 19-piece...
- OPTICS - Four Special Low Dispersion elements are featured in the design and help to reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations for improved...
- STABILIZER - Enhanced accelerometer for improved panning photography both vertically and horizontally, essential for birding, wildlife and motor...
This is a fun telephoto lens that is ideal for sports and wildlife photography. The lens is large but it is surprisingly lightweight and well built. It offers a hyper sonic motor and image stabilizer which makes it particularly great for nature and animal photography. Tracking a moving subject is possible free hand or on a tripod making this a very versatile lens.
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
- Compact, high performance L-series super-telephoto zoom makes it ideal for sports and wildlife photography
- Rotation-type zoom ring allows for more precise composition and excellent balance when handholding
- Improved zoom torque adjustment ring allows easy setting of zoom tension, Focal Length & Maximum Aperture:100-400mm 1:4.5-5.6, Closest Focusing...
This Canon lens offer true professional image quality. The price matches the performance but if it is within your budget this lens is worth the investment. There are few lenses in it’s range that can match it. You get a ton of great features including rotation type zoom ring with adjustable torque settings. You can fully customize this lens to suit your photography style. This is one hell of a lens
Best Canon XSi Lens for Landscape Photography
Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM
- Focal length and maximum aperture: 20mm 1:2.8
- Lens construction: 11 elements in 9 groups
- Diagonal angle of view: 94 Degree
This is a great lightweight option with a wide focal length. My favorite feature is the full manual focus override that can be used when you no longer want AF. I always shoot manual focus and recommend you take advantage of this feature too. It is also compact making it easy to keep in your bag and take on the road or a hike through the forrest.
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC
- Ultra-wide angle of view on both full frame and APS-C cameras
- Minimum focusing distance of only 0. 9 ft. Focal Length -14 mm
- Excellent construction and superior build quality for razor sharp images
If you are looking for a budget friendly ultra wide angle lens for your Canon Rebel XSi this is an excellent option. The petal type lens is a good choice for real estate and landscape photographer. It’s also quite popular with astrophotography enthusiasts.
Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
- Optical designs is highly resistant to strong incidental light sources such as backlight
- Minimized Chromatic aberration, distortion, and ghosting. Weight is 2.1 pounds
- This lens delivers excellent brightness and bokeh and is ideal high speed lens for snapshots.
This is the widest angle lens offered by Sigma for the xsi. It offers excellent build quality and performance at a relatively low price. It gives you 15 elements in 11 groups including special low dispersion and low dispersion glass elements. This lens is quite heavy and large but it offers great performance and is durable enough to last you many years.
Best Canon Macro Lens For Canon XSi
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
- 60mm macro lens with f/2.8 maximum aperture for EOS digital SLR cameras
- 25-degree angle of view is equivalent to 96mm lens on 35mm camera
- Focal length : 60mm, Closest focusing distance : 0.65 feet
This is a great macro lens and can produce 1x magnification. This lens also offers internal focusing which means that the front element won’t move. It consistently produces exceptionally clear and sharp photos. With it’s excellent performance and low price tag this is a great value lens.
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
- 100 millimeter focal length and 1:2.8 maximum aperture. The EF1.4X II; EF2X II extenders cannot be used with this lens. There are no compatible...
- Lens construction consists of 15 elements in 12 groups
- 23.4-Degree diagonal angle of view
This Canon macro lens will help your Canon Rebel XSi produce pro level images. It provides you with great internal focusing and image stabilization. This lens also comes fully weather proof so that you can take it outdoors without any fear. This lens is a bit higher priced but it is well worth it if it’s within your budget.
Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro
- package height : 11.0 cm
- package length : 18.4 cm
- package width : 10.2 cm
This lens is solid, but a step down or two from the lens above. It offers a recessed front element but no internal focusing. The lens does extend as you focus so keep that in mind. There is also no image stabilization so it requires a tripod for most shots. But this is still a good lens at a lower cost.