Are you searching for the best drawing books to improve your technique?
Whether you are a beginner just getting started in your drawing studies or looking to expand your skill set improving and expanding your skill set is possible. I’ve reviewed the top drawing instruction books and after reading this article you will know my recommendations.
Best Drawing Book Top Picks
How to Draw What You See
This is one of the most popular drawing books of all time and it is a true classic for good reason. This book will teach you everything you need to becomes more accurate and realistic in your drawing. This is a foundational technique book that is appropriate for all artistic styles as the skills you will learn are a must for all artists. This book will start by teaching you how to draw freehand from straight lines to basic forms. From there you will learn about perspective, composition, light and shading and so much more. This book on drawing technique will build a foundation that can be taken to everything from landscapes and portraits to more experimental styles. This is a drawing book that every artist should study.
- Maybe the most popular book on drawing technique of all time
- Exceptional learning value for all foundational skills
- Ideal for artists of all skill levels
- Excellent value
You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less
Mark Kistler has been bringing the joy of art to the masses for decades and this book brings that enthusiastic point of view in an excellent format for the beginner to drawing. With the approach of only needing a pencil and paper to bring out your inner artist this is an amazing drawing book for the young and the young at heart. You will learn how to make basic shapes and forms freehand and build up to learning shading and 3D techniques. This is a fun and exceptionally informative book to learn to draw and if you stick to it you will see incredible improvements in 30 days. This is easily one of the best drawing books for beginners.
- Ideal for the young and the young at heart
- Learn basic shapes up to more advanced techniques
- Set up in twenty minute daily lessons for 30 days
- Easy to follow drawing instruction
Drawing for the Absolute Beginner: A Clear & Easy Guide to Successful Drawing
Here is another excellent drawing book for the total beginner. This book is a one stop introductory course in drawing. It will take you from the very beginning in choosing your materials to how to properly hold your pencil or pen. It follows a logical teaching path and leads to learning about drawing proportions and how to properly use perspective. From their shading and other more advanced techniques are shown in a way that is easy and fun to learn. In time you will see massive improvements in your technique and skill as each lesson builds on the skills gained in the previous lesson.
- Ideal for the beginning artist of any age
- Easy to follow lessons that build on the skills gained in the prior lesson
- Learn drawing techniques from the very start to more advanced skills
- Excellent value
The Art of Responsive Drawing
This drawing book is best for the intermediate and advanced artist. It is a deeper dive into what actually is used in the creation of exceptional pieces of art. This drawing book tackles the topic of what shapes and forms are in the world and how those can be captured in your own art. This is a concept that once mastered will take your artistic expression to new levels. The book looks at old and modern examples of art that takes these concepts and puts them into practice. With dedicated study and practice this book will help you reach the same level of mastery.
- Ideal drawing book for the intermediate and advanced artist
- Deeper dive into shapes and forms
- Looks into examples of these concepts in modern and old art
- Excellent value
The Big Book of Realistic Drawing Secrets: Easy Techniques for drawing people, animals, flowers and nature
This is a great drawing book for the artist who feels they are stuck in a rut. The interesting ideas and info will help artists of every skill level move past a plateau they may be experiencing. This book will help sharpen your depth technique and even how to produce realistic textures and details. With over forty individual step by step lessons this drawing book will help you bring more life and personality to your works. It particularly is geared for the artist of nature, people, and animals but the skills used can be employed no matter what the subject is. This is an excellent drawing book for all artists looking to improve their skill.
- Ideal drawing book for those seeking to develop their technique
- Perfect for artists of all levels
- Help break through artistic plateaus
- Exceptional value
For more painting and drawing guides and tips read these articles:
Here is the quick list with the best drawing books picks one more time. To view prices and customer reviews see the links below.
- How To Draw What You See
- You Can Draw In 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way To Learn To Draw In One Month Or Less
- Drawing For The Absolute Beginner: A Clear & Easy Guide To Successful Drawing
- The Art Of Responsive Drawing
- The Big Book Of Realistic Drawing Secrets: Easy Techniques For Drawing People, Animals, Flowers And Nature